Hearing Protectors

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:27:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/98 6:16:07 PM, nhunt@jagat.com wrote:

<<". . A harmful noise level without use of a noise canceling device is
just as harmful with the use of one."

Jim, this is not true.">>

Newton;
 As calmly as I can I must insist that it is.  The devices we are speaking of
are noise 'cancelling' devices and not a form of hearing 'protection'. What
these jewels do is remove a perceptible noise and  keep the noise, i.e. sound
waves, from 'perceptibly' reaching the eardrum. They work by creating a
reverse, or mirror image, of the sound frequency (ies) you want to attenuate
as perceived or audible sound. They do nothing about keeping these sound
waves, both of them, from reaching your eardrum.
 If these dillys worked for 'protection' as well as they work for
'cancellation' they would be mass marketed with a zeal and perspicacity the
likes of which have yet to be seen.
Jim Bryant (FL)