Tuning Player Uprights

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:53:30 -0700

Cliff,

There are many different configurations, of course, but often an upright
player mechanism can be removed as a unit and placed on the floor. The
type I'm thinking of has all of the pneumatics above the keys which act
on the wippens or sometimes the stickers.

Typically, there are some long screws on each end of the "big black box"
to be removed. The "motor", that monkey motion assembly which actuates
everything, should be taken off first. Then check for which tubing and
linkages need to be detached before you lift the beast out of the piano.

Don't feel shy about asking the owner to help you with the removal
project. You'll need him/her later on, too, when it's time to put it
back in. This part is a little more complicated because there will be
some difficulty hooking up the larger hoses (about 2" inside diameter)
while you are trying to get everything back in place.

I always determine if the player part is functional before I take out
the works. Quite often it isn't and the R & R is a pretty
straightforward job. If it is operational, then you need to determine
that it still works when you've reinstalled it. If you're concerned
about this responsibility, you might think twice about yanking the thing
out of there.

Usually, I will remove the player action. Enough times, I've done a
substantial part of the tuning only to discover a broken key or action
part or a string breaks, necessitating the removal of the player action
anyway. Better to enjoy the freedom from restriction for the whole
tuning instead of just the last five strings.

There are other types of player actions which have the pneumatics under
the keybed. About the only thing you can do with these is to remove the
motor and hope you don't strain your back working over the spool box.

Parting shot: talk to the owner about the possibility of storing the
non-operational player action in a more convenient (for you) spot. There
is very little chance that it will ever be rebuilt; there is a very good
chance that the piano will be tuned many times in the future. Maybe
there are some player techs looking for such an animal for parts or to
rebuild. I'd like to know if they have any value. Otherwise, my
preference is to ship them part way to Japan.

Toward less frustrating tunings,

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT