Charles Walters Console

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:54:25 -0400

YouthPage8@AOL.COM wrote:

> Yesterday I tuned a late 70's Walters Console.  Tuning the pins in the tenor
> section wasn't so bad, but I have never tuned a piano with such jumpy pins in
> the high treble.  I didn't do a job that is characteristic of my usual work-
> so I am going back in a few days to try and do a better job.  I also had a
> similar problem (not quite as bad) with a 70's Baldwin Acrosonic spinet
> shortly after I started tuning.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The high density pinblocks - delignit in the Walter, and Amberlite in
the Acrosonic - don't have much margin for error when drilling, so
occassionally they come from the factory with VERY tight pins.  I was
trained on Acrosonics and later sold Walters, so I've seen quite a few
of both.  The impact method works well, but sometimes a gradual pull
technique will get the job done.  Click, pound, pull, coax, pound,
click, settle, click, pop . . . . . . keep at it.  Build up your chops.

Carl Root, RPT