Hammer Weight vrs Friction

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:58:31 -0400

At 01:45 PM 10/18/98, you wrote:
>In <3.0.5.32.19981018113734.007ad340@capecod.net>, on 10/18/98
>   at 11:37 AM, Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net> said:
>>#	UW	DW	SW	FW	KR	BW	F		SR
>>16 	34 	68 	11.9 	32.8 	0.53 	51 	17.0 		6.33
>>16 	25 	58 	10.7 	32.8 	0.53 	41.5 	16.5 		6.15
>
>I admit to not having paid as close attention as I should have, but could
>you refresh my memory as to what all of these abbreviations are?  Some I
>know, but some I am unfamiliar with.
>Charles Farinella<c_farinella@conknet.com>

Up Weight
Down Weight
Strike Weight
Front Weight
Key Ratio
Balance Weight
Friction
Strike Ratio

SW	weight of hammer and shank as weighed with the center pin
	resting on a pivot off the scale platen
FW	weight of the front of the key with the balance rail hole resting
	on a pivot off the scale platen
KR	ratio of capstan to balance rail : b/r to key front
BW	(UW+DW)/2
F	(DW-UW)/2
SR	amount of force needed at the front of the key to move 1 gr. SW

	As understood by me after reading Dave Stanwood's articles.

Case in point:
If you try to achieve a 50 DW with a Friction of 20 gr, your UW is 10 gr.
(too low) But if you can relieve the friction to 15 gr prior to weighing
off the
key; then your UW is 20 which is spec for S&S concert grands in the bass.

The key is to attend to friction before any changes are made.
A rough regulation will also help you to preceive the options
and make a judgement.

I offered the figures on note #16 because it had the same friction
before and after lightening the hammer. When I remove the s/f/h from
the rail for lightening, I repin before I reinstall them so most other samples
exibit a lower Friction due to the repinning. Now two gr off the hammer
would show a slightly lower friction.

So when one approaches an action, many things have to be taken into
account. One is what type of use will it be needed for, performance,
practice, home, size of room, playing style of owner; to name a few. Also
current Touchweight and desired range.

Knowing the relationship of friction, weight and leverage within the
regulation scheme is a study which benefits you and your customer.
It's like everything, the more of them you do, the easier they are
and you know atuomatically what to anticipate for any given execution.

Once again, the Renner Parts Kit is a handy tool for chosing the
right part. Unfortunately no one around here wants to buy new parts,
just make the old ones work, I can do that.

All thunk out now,