DOUBT

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:30:20 -0500

ROGERIO CUNHA wrote:

>I have a SAT II and today I need to use it in order to tune a piano in
>442cps.
>The piano was out of tune about 64 cps flat.
>I read the FACs with 8 cps up without problems but when I started tuning it
>I saw that the 8 cps wasn't on the page where I put the FACs because the
>display did not show to me + as the manual says.
>( I did everything as on page 18 of the manual  - offsetting an FAC tuning
>to non-standard pitch.)
>There are some better method in order to tune a piano in 442 as this one
>that I worked today ?
>ROGERIO CUNHA IC MEMBER OF THE GUILD

If you offset a modern SAT to 442 (+ about 8 cents) before taking the FAC
readings, then when you calculate/save an FAC tuning to a page of memory,
the offset of the FAC will be removed, but the individual cents
deviations of the just-saved tuning will all be raised by 8 cents, so A=
442 will be achieved with no overall SAT offset. You can test this:
offset your SAT and save an FAC tuning to a page of memory; after this
save, the SAT offset (+) will be gone; now save the FAC tuning again, but
to a page of memory adjacent to the first tuning saved. (The original FAC
readings will still be available for this second save, as long as you
have not shut down the SAT.) Now compare the readings for the same notes
in both tunings. Are they the same, or do they reflect an offset?

Kent Swafford