Tuning...Again

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:54:45 -0700

YouthPage8@AOL.COM wrote:

> Well, after reading all the mail about 4ths and 5ths and 3rds and 6ths, I am
> compromising.  I am now starting to use the Coleman A to A temperament in
> which you tune pivotal 3rds and then mostly 4ths and 5ths.  I am having
> trouble with this F-A approx. 7bps thing.  I know a lot of aural tuners start
> with this interval and I would be curious to know how you learned how to set
> this interval.  This is probably an extremely stupid question: Why
> approximately?  How do I know when to set it slightly slower than 7bps?  Is
> there a solid check to make sure that I have tuned this first interval
> correctly?
>
> Jonathan Hoover

The 7bps is all dependent on how much inharmonicity the piano has. In
general, the larger the piano the slower the F-A because of the improved
scale and thus less compromise. On many large grands I have actually
found F-A to be close to 6bps. Once I get my F I immediately tune the
next octave F, (F4). I then tune the Bb in the middle. THis is followed
by the F to the C, and C the the D. At this point you have an
unquestionable check from the D back to the A, which you no for a fact
is correct because it is where you started. If it is way off in either
direction then you know you need to re-adjust the F-A again. The Bb to
the A also gives you a 3rd test to compair to the F-A. As everyone on
this list will tell you there's a million ways to do this, but this
seems to work for me.

Rob Goodale, RPT