SATII use

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:11:26 -0400

Bob and List,
 This is a topic which I have brought to the attention of Dr. Sanderson
himself (at the Ohio State Seminar last week!)
	I did have a piano today that I have been tuning for about 3 years now.
The FAC readings are very similar to other numbers of other pianos I
have seen. The piano in question is a 1940'3 Conover Cable spinet The
break is E3-F3 (E32-F33) F3 is plain wire. FAC reading on F3 (F5 tune,
measure F6) is 24.3c. now the highest the FAC will accept is 20.0c. And
we all know from experience this tuning is not going to sound the best
and in most cases in my experience the bottom half of the piano (or so)
will be tuned aurally. (Or some just say, its only a spinet that hasn't
been tuned in 20 years, and whos going to notice if the tuning isn't as
good as it could be.) readings on F#, G, G#, A were all above 20c,
similar to the F reading. Just for fun and experimenting I took a
reading of E3 (first copper wound string in bass section, descending)
and came up with a 10.5c reading. the numbers turned out to be something
like 10.5, 10.5, 7.7 not too bad for a spinet, lets see how it sounds, I
think that was the best that little piano had sounded in a while. I'm
not quite sure why but the reading from the first copper wound string in
the bass section produced better numbers and a better tuning than any of
the samples from above the break. The bass was much clearer, not
overstretched like with the +20.0c from before. Just my observation.
Take it what its worth.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH