Tuning...Again

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:10:16 -0700

Jonathan,

You could probably design a large number of ways to check the speed of F
- A. I started out practicing, every spare moment, counting the 7 beats
per second and using my watch like metronome, thinking that all pianos
had to be set to that speed (or, actually 6.92 according to Braid
White). Then I learned about variations in inharmonicity affecting that
theoretical beat speed considerably. Oh, well, it was still good to know
_about_ how fast to set that first interval.

Later on, I discovered that, in the temperament sequence I was using,
the speed of F - A affected the speed of F# - A#; if the lower M3 was
too slow, the upper M3 would automatically beat too fast and vice versa.
So then I would adjust the two thirds such that the upper one would beat
1/2 bps faster than the lower one. This adjustment could be done in the
7th step of the 17-step tuning sequence (D3 - F4).

In your own case, you might experiment with how a too slow or too fast F
- A beat speed affects other intervals and so the subsequent intervals
can be used to check the F - A.

I have seen different methods which build a framework of contiguous
thirds, Baldassin/Sanderson for example, which is very accurate. Once
you get the hang of measuring the 5:4 ratio of upper third to lower
third, you can set up a whole chain of them, as long as F2 - A4 if you
want.

Tom Cole

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT