Sticker wippens & billings flanges

Rolland Miller rmiller@EN.COM
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:12:04 -0400

Hello list,
I am presently working on and old upright which was beautifully refinished
by my customers late husband.  The grandchildren are coming into the piano
lesson age and wisely or unwisely, I am trying to get the piano back to
GOOD playable condition.

Problem 1 - looseness between center pin and billings brass flange.
I am replacing the old billings butt flanges w/new billings butts that have
the brass flange all ready pinned to the butt. I have adjusted the bushing
friction so that each center with a temporary hammer inserted, gets five to
six swings with the flange clamped tight.  Problem: when I attached these
butts back in the action with the flange screws a number of centers were
loose between the pin and the flange.  I can correct this by putting in a
larger pin. However, I would like to know if there is a technique/procedure
for getting a good tight grip between the pin and billings flange.  The
flange ends were spread apart quite a bit when the parts arrived.  Any
suggestions greatly appreciated <rmiller@en.com>

Problem 2 - need some sticker type wippens.
I need Schaff # 523 or American # 24457 sticker type wippens.  Prattwins
machine for making these has broken down and I haven't been able to locate
enough to completely replace all the wips.  I'm not completely stuck as I
can recondition the old ones if I need to.  I need  24 w/spoons right for
bass & treble, 8 w/spoons left for tenor and 20 without spoons for Hi
treble.  If you have some you could sell me or know where I could purchase
some, please let me know either privately or thru the list. <rmiller@en.com>

In my search for wippens I became acquainted with a piano supply house
which I was not aware of - "International Piano Supply" in Oregon I belive.
1-888-668-3788 or E-mail <were@pianosupply.com> or the web at
http://www.pianoparts.com/ips.  The fellow in charge there is very helpful
and also a tech.  I don't know the company's reputation.  Hope this
information is helpful to you.

Thanks for any help on the above, Rolland Miller, Miller Piano Service,
North Ridgeville, OH PTG/RPT & MPT.
Rolland Miller at rmiller@en.com