rebuilding wippens

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:17:04 -0700

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> << I've read a couple of articles by Rappaport and Spurlock about
>  rebuilding wippens, Seeing the cost of them, $600+ with the factor that I
>  am restoring a 1920's Ampico system, wouldn't the value for original parts
>  be more than replacing them?

Eliot,
I would not even CONSIDER rebuilding wippens. They are expendible by
design and unlike wine, do not improve with age. The money that you
MIGHT save (if your lucky, counting labor), will be very marginal. I
would strongly recommend Renner. They are beautifully machined, they
look fabulous, and they are a real joy to regulate. Being rather
familiar with AMPICO units I can assure you that replacing the wippens
will have no hindering effects on the player system whatsoever. On the
contrary they will be far better then the original. I would highly
recommend the matching Renner shanks too. Trust me on this one.
And... Just curious, what flavor piano is this?

Good luck,
Rob Goodale, RPT