Piano Business Software

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:51:59 -0700

Hi Larry,
Access is an excellent database, in fact, for anyone in a business such as
ours, it would serve you quite well.  The obstacle that has stopped some
people from using it to its fullest capabilities is that you have to invest
some thought and time in designing and setting up the database to serve your
needs. For some that proves to be a bigger obstacle than expected.  If you
are familiar and enjoy tweaking your programs to your liking, then Access
will be great.  I know quite a few people who bought the program with the
grandest of intentions and then never finished customizing it for their
needs.  You may find you will use it for other things besides your piano
service business, too.

So,  Ken Hale, RPT, from Sacramento, created a database called PianoDB97 for
piano technicians using Access.  It is very nice and saves you the hassle of
working out all of the programming yourself.  You can reach Ken and preview
the program at www.dcalcoda.com. The price of the program is also available
on the website.

PT Biz is also a very nice program created by a professional programmer (Ed
Winslow) with input from Bob Bussell, RPT, and some other piano technicians.
If you don't care whether your program can work within the Microsoft Office
power structure, it may be the way  for you to go.

Others have found an integrated program like Works serves their needs quite
well and is much simpler to use.  You can also get a trial version of this
over the internet.

The way each of us uses our computers is as varied as the way we each use
our tuning hammers.  You may not like the first one you pick up.  Since both
of these programs offer you a trial, I would test each of them out for a
decent amount of time.  I mean, really use them each day and find out for
yourself which feels right.  (Of course, trying out PianoDB means you
already must have Access)

All of these are good programs and good tools, you may need to get familiar
with your computer for a little while first before you can know what will
serve you best.

I would also echo Horaces comments about investing in your business.  Our
tools can be pricey, but we can't get along without them.  Your computer and
the programs you use on it can become equally valuable for you in your
business.  Always invest well in these area and it will pay off in the end.

Hope this helps,

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
jgrassi@silverlink.net
Bainbridge Island, WA