Schimmel

antares@EURONET.NL antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:50:24 +0200

a faint voice from across one of the oceans :

Hi there..............!

I am a tuner /tech in Europe, and I have tuned about a zillion Schimmels
amongst the trillion other brands. In the case that there would be maybe one
person overthere interested  to hear this/my opinion, I then shall say the
following :
In Europe, Schimmel is a highly respected pianomaker, and they are not
inexpensive, but in the middle range.
Usually we can determine the quality of a piano by its price. Schimmel thus
is a good quality medium prized piano. In my opinion the uprights are more
in demand than the grands, the grands are usually in the stores for a long
time before they get sold. Among the uprights are also models with a Yamaha
action. These uprights are the very best of the Schimmel line, because a.
they have a good rich tone, and b. their touch has improved very much
because of the Yamaha action.

Some minor points too:
Schimmel actions can be a little sluggish - the Schimmel "Schimmel" actions
are not known for their wonderful touch, hence the improvement by the Yamaha
Corp. which has taken a share in Schimmel - Schimmel grands are sometimes
not so easy to tune because of tight pins and because of problems with the
capo bar - lastly, I do not particularly like the fact that they must use a
mute strip in the capo. I suppose they have a reason to do so, but I would
prefer the system with an open capo.

goodbye from Europe (very faint voice this time......)

André Oorebeek