20 year old Yamaha

nydia@pacbell.net nydia@pacbell.net
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:51:51 -0800

Have read an exhaustive amount on gray market Yamahas.  I have found a
piano I would like to buy circa 1977-78 with a W in front of the serial
number.  I have a good feeling about the dealer (1-5 year warranty), but
am concerned because he refers to it as a U3 - type, W101.  The only W
series I can find is WX7S, but there are no markings anywhere on this
piano to indicate a model number.  Other U3s and even U5s have it
clearly embossed on the plate.  He states that the W101 indicates the
cabinet (unpolished mahogany).  Another interesting feature of the piano
is the music rack.  It has "speakers" behind a wide, rectangular base
that pulls out and also serves as the music rack.  I have seen this on
the current U5 piano.

Anyway, should I be suspicious of this piano and how can I determine
what model it is, exactly?  Info on the WX7S is scarce on the net.  It
does have three pedals, hammers have been slightly shaved...

Thanks.  He wants $4500 for it.

N.