open list?

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:07:45 -0600

Jim Krentzel wrote:
>Dear readers,

>My opinion:
>When I subscribed to this list, I don't recall being told that only
>piano techs can participate.   Even though there are other lists, it's
>hard for me to imagine that we've all become such "hot stuff" that we
>can't answer questions on this list from the outside public.  Most
>discussions on this list aren't all that high-tech anyway, and an
>outsiders view on most of the topics of discussion shouldn't be that
>much of a bother.

Yes, this is an open list.
Yes, most on the list are piano technicians.
Yes, most of them are PTG members.
Yes, it is in the ptg.org internet domain.
Yes, questions/comments from newbie techs and non-techs are welcomed by
many members of this list.
Yes, we all learn from every question. Some of what we learn may not be
what we want.

The poster may learn that there is a more appropriate platform, and should
be _gently_ reminded of that fact. Preferably "off-list".

Recipient listers may learn things from a different point of view, after
all aren't our customers non-techs?  When you have a question from a piano
owner, isn't it nice to know more than one explanation. This forum gives us
all several "ways to skin a cat".

Was it Newton who reminded us that the only dumb question was an unasked one?

Happy Monday!!

Conrad Hoffsommer 	hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College		(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Music - Communication that exposes us to the work of great minds that were
dissatisfied by the limits of the spoken language - Martin Tolchin