Voicing Baldwin L

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:16:33 +0000

Hi Ron and Mr Gillead,
    I think without seeing this piano it's impossible to determine the
problem.   I agree with all that Ron says but about it being a potential
soundboard problem, but I think it is more likely a voicing/hammer
problem.  I gather that this piano has been practiced on quite a bit and
is ten years old and very little voicing and no hammer filing has ever
been done.  That alone would do it so don't feel in complete despair, it
might not be that bad.   I interjected afew thoughts below.

 >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 >At 12:37 PM 10/23/98 -0400, you wrote:

 >>so bright and nasal that it's utterly unbearable. Sounds like hammers
are
 >>wood and strings are tin!

Typical of ten year old well practiced on hammers.  They may be worn out
or at the very least in need of alot of voicing.

 >>A recent tuning and a superficial brushing of the hammers have not
improved
 >>it. In fact it's only got worse. . . Now it sounds both too bright
and
 >>fuzzy all at once.

Got brighter after brushing the hammers?  That isn't what brushing
does!  It sounds to me as if the hammers need to be filed and mated to
the strings.  The strings should be checked for seating to the bridge
and centerpins checked.  Deep needling to release inner compression felt
might improve the sustain.  Each of these things would likely improve
it.  It should also be regulated.

 >>My preferred sound is round, warm, mellow, and soft, but with clear
attack
 >>and good sustain. I'll soon be hiring a local tech to try to bring it
down,
 >>and my question is directed at technicians who've had experience with
 >>Baldwin Ls of that vintage (and their hammers):

 >>Does this instrument's scale design and hammers have the kind of
tonal
 >>potential to produce the sound I want?

Yes, Baldwin L is a very good piano, it does have a certain
characteristic sound which could be described as nasal but is clear.  I
like Baldwin Ls very well and think they are especially good in the
bass    I would get hire a good rebuilder as Ron has said to look at
your piano. and any such person will also likely be a good voicer.

>> It would be nice to get some feedback before I start
> >>investing the hundreds of dollars it will likely take to have it properly
> >>voiced.

Try to voice it before spending thousands to replace the soundboard. All
pianos need maintanence other than just tuning.  Check to see that the
tenor bridge is not touching the plate brace at the low end.  That would
deaden the tone.
Hire a tech and don't be afraid to invest afew hundred in voicing or
even a thousand or two on a new set of hammers and action work, it's
probably worth it.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT