open list?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:35:25 EST

Jim writes:
> Most
>discussions on this list aren't all that high-tech anyway, and an
>outsiders view on most of the topics of discussion shouldn't be that
>much of a bother.

Greetings,
   You are correct in saying that an outsider's(non-tech) view shouldn't be
that much of a bother, that is not the problem.
   The problem is an extra 100 or more letters a week from people seeking
advice.  I do that for money here,  I am certainly not going to seek places to
do it for free.
    The response that is received from technicians here on the list is worth
the time and effort to post advice, questions, or suggestions.  However, as
for becoming a font of piano info for the public, this list should avoid such
a fate.  The piano owners seeking free advice should employ a tech where they
live and pay  for the appraisal,services, or estimates, instead of greatly
increasing the noise to signal ratio on this  list.
        	There have been an alarming number of really top-flight techs, with
years of experience, that have left this forum because of the excess, non-
technical, posts.  I question whether the "hospitality" is worth it
    The list is what we make of it,  I am strongly in favor it remaining for
technicians only.  There are other places for the general public to get piano
information.
Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works