Strips or wedges

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:46:56

>To All:
>
>One question that interests me, I was tuning a Bosendorfer grand today
>which is tuned on a regular basis this for me was really a touch up.
>Tuned the F in the scale plus odd unisons.  Couple of octaves at the
>bass break tidied up last octave in the treble about fifteen minutes in
>all.  The question is, would you strip mute the entire piano for just a
>touch up or would you use a wedge.
>
>Barrie,

I use a wedge for light tuning or touchups. But then, I don't strip mute
the whole piano for full tunings, just the temperament area (about 2
octaves worth.) If the piano is more than just a little out, I tune the
stripped area, tune the unisons as I remove the strip, replace the strip
and start all over
again. The first roughing in can go very quickly.

(I agree that the right string usually seems clearer and more stable on
grands. When tuning treble unisons when there are bad false beats, I always
start with whichever string seems the clearest, and add the others in.)

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370