Outside In (was open list and outsiders)

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:52:32 -0500

Hi Listmates!

Just my 2 cents' deviation here ...

In defense of Jory Olson:

Please keep in mind that some outsiders are goldmines of information on
topics of great importance to us.  We use a lot of tools, materials and
supplies in our businesses that we really know little about, except that
some of us have had varying degrees of luck with them.  Anybody who can and
is willing to furnish us with information to give us a better understanding
of what we're dealing with is more than welcome to contribute their input.

Don't forget that some of the questions the piano owners/non-technicians
ask give us a perspective on how our profession is viewed from the outside.
 I should think this would only help us in dealing with our customers on a
day-to-day basis, this being especially helpful for the newcomers to the
field.

+++

We're all only human, and as such we all have our questions and insights.
The world of pianos is not mutually exclusive to the rest of the world.
(Pianos as a cross between a pet and a car, old pianos as old buildings to
be restored or destroyed ...)  Sometimes something that is *off-topic* will
have implications *on-topic* ... and vice versa.  We should all be entitled
to ask those questions and offer the insights.

None of us are under any obligation to respond to anything that was posted.
 We all have the right to hit the Delete key for any post we care not to
deal with.  I should think that the lack of responses to *inappropriate*
posts should be enough to keep the authors of those posts discouraged from
using our list.  It's when we all flare up in a flame-throwing frenzy that
things get ugly and drawn out.

Respectfully -

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI