Keybed Warping

Nina / Cliff Lesher lesher@jdweb.com
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:04:29 -0500

Ron,

These are great points that I wish I had thought out while at the piano.  I
focused on the balance rail and my peripheral vision took a nap.  Your reasoning
will help me take a better look to pinpoint the problem when I go back to this
piano.

Honestly, I don't remember the exact construction of the bed.  I do remember it
is not solid, but has, say three or four boards running bass to treble.  My
guess is that the keybed is of the stile and panel design.  Also, I know that
the deflection presents itself only at the balance rail and therefore, does
affect dip.  I discounted the balance rail as the "crowner" because it was
screwed tightly to the bed and because it would have to be crowning down into
the bed to produce the summer effect (zero dip).

I thought of front-to-rear crowning of the bed as you did, but I remember
straight-edging this (in winter but not summer) and seeing no real daylignt
under the edge.  I wish I had done this in summer.  I also felt that a crown
across the short dimension was unlikely (but maybe not).

My conclusion was that the bed, (now I'm thinking at least the portion (panel?)
under the balance rail) had to be crowning downward, taking the b.r. with it,
along the bass-to-treble dimension when it saw the summer's humidity.  However,
I'm not ruling out that it could be bulging along both the fore-aft and
side-side axes.

Regardless, I've learned something here.  I look forward to my next encounter
with this piano.  Thanks.

Cliff Lesher
Lewisburg, PA
So.Central PA Chapter 170