Heavy action

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:54:40 +0000

I use a 1" belt sander and do each by hand but the results look
great.  The belt sander doesn't take off much so its two quick
passes then flip it over (not the belt sander) and two more
quick passes on the other side.  I believe you can order all the
shanks thinned when ordering from Wally Brooks...

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          Wimblees@AOL.COM
> Date:          Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:29:16 EST
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Heavy action

> << On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:
>

>  >Not only hammer, but you might also try to get rid of some of the shank
> mass,
>
>  >if that can be done.
>

>  If people are doing this, I would very much like to know how.  What kind of
>  tools, jigs, whatever are you using to get professional looking results.  If
>  there is a journal article, a reference would be great.
>
>  TIA,
>
>  Charles Farinella
>  c_farinella@conknet.com >>
>

> I did it once on an older Steinway. The original shanks were much thinner than
> the new ones. I didn't do anything fancy, and perhaps the end results didn't
> look proffessional, but it did the job. I used a dremmel tool with the round
> hammer shaping drums, and sanded off the sides of the shanks.
>
> Willem Blees

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net