Older CF questions

Ricard de La Rosa ricard@propiano.com
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 23:59:12 -0500

Hey, anyone had this experience:

Older (1975) CF in great condition.  Decided time to rebuild.  Had new sets of
whippens and pre hung hammers shanks and flanges (all factory wrapped parts from
20 years ago).  Started to install the hammers shanks and flanges and guess
what?   I had a package of 90 (ninety) # 1 hammer assemblies....all 90 pieces
were # 1 hammer, shank and flange.

So, I thought a little better about changing the set till my friendly Yamaha
contact hooked me up.

Whilst tinkering around, I gave the command to also replace the hammer shank
rest felts from the whippens not being sure whether or not to change the
whippens having had such a shock on the hammer shanks, etc.

To my surprise, either the hammer shank rest blocks and/or the hammer shank rest
felts are of various thicknesses....ergo, the job came out like a drunken set of
stair steps.

Yamaha contact (20 years on the job or so) says "I dunno, either").

So, any insight.

Of course, all this merely confirmed my initial instinct....install all new
parts.

Bye for now,

Ricard