Technical #5

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:16:18 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ron:

On the Baldwin pianos, the little bosses mark the wire size changes. On
other pianos there are some little bosses at the Bass end and Treble end
to mark the strike line. The Walter pianos have little bosses underneath
the pressure bar to limit how far down the pressure bar should be screwed.
Also on the Walter piano there is a round boss in the middle of the plate
web just behind the strikeline. This locates a checking jig for locating
tooling holes and a check on the tuning pin locations and a note spacing
jig.

The earliest bosses I have ever noticed for locating the strike line was
on an early 1900 Ivers and Pond upright which was a very high quality piano.
Action height could be located from these bosses and the proper height
location for side-gluing was assured.

Jim Coleman, Sr.