Strictly technical

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:37:26 -0500

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
. . it is probable that the plate itself sifts around somewhat.  These
> things make up a substantial portion of the pianos weight.  They are held in place
> with a mechanism intended to hold them down against the rim/soundboard assembly.
> Not much thought is given to withstanding side stresses.

Hi Del,
   Does that mean it is better to move grand pianos flat instead of on
their sides, and blocked up so trapwork is not crushed?
-Mike Jorgensen

PS.  I still haven't had time to study that Kranich and Bach fully, (I
got sidetracked trying to keep up with everything else).  I did notice a
post about flared wippens lately and yes the wippens are angled along
with the shanks on the K&B and there are two plate noses.  The flare is
accomplished by having the wip flanges mounted on a flat rail in
horizontal position instead of vertical.  They use rails with sandpaper
like Baldwins and special coil spring washers which hold the pressure
against the flanges even if the screws are alittle loose (i.e they are
only tight or tighter).  I'll let you know how it turns out.