Yamaha electric grand of mid 70's to mid 80's origin

Martin, Thomas N (MARTITN5) MARTITN5@Juniata.Edu
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:52:57 -0400

>Is this the one with regular piano hammers,  bichords instead of trichords,
pinblock,  cast iron plate, etc....but no soundboard, using pickups instead?

	I don't think this has a soundboard (but I have been told it isn't
inaudible without being amped :-\ )and I'm not sure if it uses microphone
type pickups or guitar style (I have a feeling it is more like a guitar
pickup)  I've been told that the action does use specialized parts and the
part that really bothers me is the smaller keyboard.  I was told that the
CP-70 has 70 key (also told 76) and CP-80 has 80 (if CP-70 has 76 - does the
CP-80 have 88).  As a classical pianist I don't find 70 keys acceptable to
be honest 80 is a compromise at the least - half of Liszt's works come to
mind and Grieg's concerto - (however it would be fine for classical stuff
but, I can't afford to have a lot of instruments with limited capabilities).
I have a Clavinova in my apartment now but, wouldn't mind upgrading to
something "real" I have thought about an upright with a device that reads
velocity so I can still use it as a midi controller which is important to
me.  After looking at ads for instruments I can across quite a few CP-70's
and wondered if one of these could be nice because it seems to be light
enough that it doesn't take special movers, and has a grand action, plus
volume control/headphone capabilities, which would please neighbors.  I
don't think string breakage would be a problem - I could always turn the
volume up so the sound is more powerful with less force but, if it doesn't
have a full keyboard I think I would feel like I was down grading from my
Clavinova (It has a decent touch but, the sound is terrible - I use the
stereo Bosendorfer samples of my Alesis QSR instead).

Another question.  Are there any velocity sensitive devices for acoustic
pianos that are accurate and affordable?  I know piano disk makes "quiet
piano" stuff but that includes a synth.  I don't need a synth - I already
have one so all I'd need would be something that would allow me to use the
keyboard as a midi controller.
Tom Martin

http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/villa/4107
martitn5@juniata.edu