Yamaha electric grand of mid 70's to mid 80's origin

Marvin McDonald pianomarv@earthlink.net
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 17:13:34 -0700

Martin, Thomas N (MARTITN5) wrote:

> Hi List,
>         Does anyone on this list have experience with the Yamaha electric
> Grand (CP70?)?  I played on one on a cruse ship about 8 years ago but,
> didn't pay it much attention - I don't remember it sounding bad though.
> What are your experiences with this instrument?  Apparently it can be put
> into two cases and transported?  How practical is this?  How well do these
> things hold a tuning?  Are they of anywhere near the quality of Yamaha's
> other acoustic instruments?  Are their actions special or standard?  Also
> what are their dimensions.  I have a Clavinova in my apartment now but, I
> would like to have something better (it isn't practical to move a C3 around
> much though - and it's pretty loud in small spaces) I'd like to use this for
> practicing and perhaps small-time home recording for family and friends.  I
> also read one ad that said they had a soundboard - they don't do they?
> Thanks,
> Tom Martin

Tom,
I used a Yamaha CP70 on stage for several years.  That is how I got started
tuning.  They are difficult to tune and and Aural tuner will have a dickens of
a time with them.  I used the "Sight-O-Tuner" when I first started tuning as
that is the unit I was taught on.  It worked very well for the entire piano but
I would be willing to be the Sanderson's Accu-Tuner II or even the III will do
an even better job.

The Yamaha CP70 and 80 DO NOT have soundboards.  That makes it nice to practice
on when you don't want to disturb people around you.  I use to go into the bar
and arrange music for rehearsal and practice will customers were in the place
and neve got a complaint.  It was just loud enough that I was able to hear it.

Want a good sound then plan on spending a little cash for an excellent sound
system. I also used a 16 band graphic equalizer to produce a rich bass sound
and a full round treble.  It can be an excellent sounding instrument but will
never sound as good as a 7' or larger high quality grand and that is why you
won't find them in recording studios. I should qualify that statement.  To date
I've neve seen an electric grand in any of the recording studios I have tuned
for.  I live in Tacoma, WA and while we have quite a few recording studios that
are places with a lot more and they may be using this instrument.

Moving is not easy.  I'm only 5'4" and had to move mine myself as my wife is
too small to help. I used a dolly and was very careful.  If there were stairs
to navigate I got help.  I think each piece weighs around125 lbs.  We shipped
mine to Alaska several times and I cannot remember the shipping weight now.

The instrument I had was very unstable at first but it got much better as it
aged.  Remember thought I was moving it quite a bit.

Hope that helps you.

---Marvin McDonald