Yamaha electric grand of mid 70's to mid 80's origin

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:34:28 EDT

kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

<< Marcel Carey wrote:

 >I had quite a few experiences with CP70 and 80. I still service one of them.
 >The treble part sound quite nice, but the bass has such short strings that
 >the inharmonicity makes the bass almost untunable. Chameleon II can't even
 >measure A-1.

 I have tuned two of these with RCT, one just a few weeks ago, and both
 were readable at A1 by Chameleon 2. I would be happy to e-mail the tuning
 record to anyone interested.

 Kent Swafford >>

I have my own solution to these instruments, as you might expect.  Back in the
'80's I tuned them by ear with headphones on.   The bass was always the
hardest part to hear and the treble was always very unstable.  Still, I
welcomed the opportunity, met many famous musicians and made good money on
them.

I do have an 88 note program that makes this instrument sound very good, if
you can just get over the idea that ET would be the only proper temperament.
Same goes for the Yamaha 42" console that somebody had trouble with.  Same
goes for the Acrosonic and many other "poor" scale designs.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin