Sabre Saw??'s

Wed, 02 Sep 1998 08:40:20 -0700

It's been a long time since I tried anything like this, but...  Back in the days
when my shop installed PianoCorders (remember those?) we used a plunge-cut
router for things like that cut.  You could make life easier for the router bit
by cutting a plug out using the jig saw first, I suppose.  We just took the cut
in stages and made a lot of chips.

There is no way you'll ever get a jig saw blade (powered by any type or make of
saw) to cut straight through 2" of solid wood.  Manufactures of all power tools
-- unlike piano manufacturers! -- market their products on the outside edge of
believability.  Yes, the machine has the requisite power.  But unless you make
the bit 1/2" deep and about 1/4" wide it's not going to stay straight with a cut
that deep.

Stick around.  I'll bet that some of the modern day PianoDisc installers will
have some better ideas.

Regards,

Del