20 tons of tension

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 13:38:03

Dear Peter,

I didn't feel offended in any way. I was just making a joke by
understanding what you said, and replying using a Dutch word. My little bit
of fun.

And it's true that Americans are very backwards when asked to speak a
foreign language ... on the other hand, we're fantastic at understanding
people who hardly can stammer a word of English. Your English is just fine,
by the way.

Susan
At 09:09 PM 9/2/98 +0200, Peter Kestens wrote:
>To all of them who may be blamed by my answer,
>
>I only wanted to tell most of you hardly read or speak a foreign language.
>If we Belgiums want to be understand or want to be succesfull in business,
>we have to talk at least 3 (and even more) languages.  English is one of
>them.   For those who are interested, my first language is Dutch, then
>French and after that, English and German.
> I only want to excuse the way I put it:  I did it a little bit laughing
>with you "poor little  Americans who aren't able to talk a foreign language"
>:-) but didn't  at all have in mind to blame anybody of you.  As Michiel van
>Loon said: I only pushed the wrong button. So, ...
>
>And no, I'm not hexalingual,  I can speak three languages and have notice of
>German but that's it.
>
>BTW,  I'm convinced you do perhaps the same when you read my English.  I've
>many times the feeling  American or English people will tell the same but in
>a more easy and simple way.
>
>Over and out.
>KESTENS.P@DEBCOM.BE
>BELGIUM