Longevity of Digital Pianos

Martin, Thomas N (MARTITN5) MARTITN5@Juniata.Edu
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:20:32 -0400

Hello List,
	In my apartment I have an old Clavinova.  It doesn't have a lot of
the extra sounds, disk drive or any of that stuff that is commonly found on
newer models (it's 10 years old).  The keyboard is the same that Yamaha uses
today on it's standard models (except it doesn't have the three levels of
touch sensitivity control)  The sound quality isn't bad (about as good as a
cheap upright in my opinion) but, it isn't the best available.  The beauty
of midi is - that doesn't matter because it is upgradeable.  Currently I am
using the sound from and Alesis QSR rackmount synth which I think its better
than most digital pianos out today.  The problem that I have with digital
pianos is that they don't have a good range of tone.  For instance - a sound
will be sampled at a loud volume with a lot of force behind the hammer.
This is great for loud passages and the sound will be amazingly realistic
when played back.  However if you want to play something delicate like a
nocturne the attack is still harsh but the volume is lower - something that
is rather unnatural sounding.  This is why I am interested in an electric
grand.  It would be portable (well about as portable as my Clavinova) and it
would have a real action and the sound would be live so at least in theory
the tonal range would be unlimited.  Digitals have their place.  They don't
need to be serviced and that makes them better for a pianist than an
acoustic piano that needs servicing and doesn't receive it for one reason or
another.  The thought that they will replace acoustic pianos though doesn't
seem likely to me - not grands at least (and probably not high quality
instuments all together).  The digital piano would be nothing without the
acoustic - it's goal is to emulate a grand and it will never do a better job
than the real thing.  The idea that Concert pianist will tour with one is
quite laughable.  As durable as they are they aren't "performance"
instruments.  On the concert stage there is more than one artist.
Just my three cents...
Tom Martin

http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/villa/4107
martitn5@juniata.edu