Dremel Keytop Trimmer

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:31:45 -0700

Chris:
	Yes, the Dremel is fast enough to do the job quite easily.  I have the
variable speed model, which turns as fast as any router.
	The problem of using a router type tool to trim the notch is a little
hard to describe in words.  Theoretically it should work great, since
the bits already have a 90 degree angle just perfect to do the job.  But
the problem is that as you slide the keystick into the bit, the bit
wants to take off hunks at a time.  Maybe one of their other cutters
would work better.  But I think they don't have perfect 90 degree angles
on these cutter bits.  If you are very careful and push the keystick
SLOWLY, it will work.  But for all the fancy jigmaking, and time to
clamp the keysticks in place for trimming the notch, you  could do it
faster by hand.  The jig I used made it necessary to trim the right hand
notches with one pass, and then the left hand notches with another
pass.  In between I had to reconfigure the jig.  After all the hassle
and time to do the job, it took longer than I thought it should.
 	Paul McCloud