Learning to re-finish Pianos

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:19:05 -0700

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..I have a couple of candidates in the shop right now..but I admit to
> knowing nothing about re-finishing Pianos..
>
> ..could someone point me in the direction of some books or possibly a
> school or individual who would be willing to teach this subject?..i
> get a few calls a month about re-finishing Pianos, and I have to turn
> them down..it looks like I better learn how.

Phil,

I have two books on the subject. One is entitled "Understanding Wood
Finishing" by Bob Flexner. It's available from Rodale Press in Emmaus,
PA, $27.95. The other is called "The Woodfinishing Book" by Michael
Dresdner, Taunton Press (Fine Woodworking), $24.95.

Both of these books are very comprehensive and I would be hard pressed
to recommend one over the other, not having made a thorough comparitive
analysis. The Fine Woodworking book has a soft cover which accounts for
the price difference, I suppose.

Happy refinishing.

Tom

--