PTG, to join or not to join ?

Hite, Bob bhite@dmci.net
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 22:35:29 -0400

Pianotech List:

I am a hobbyist.  I love working on pianos.  I am working on my second rebuild.
Over the last two and a half years, I have utilized the services of two
professional technicians, one an associate, the other, a RPT.  Both have suggested
that I join their chapter of the PTG.  No pressure, just a suggestion.  Clearly
the ball was left in my court,  and I am seriously considering doing so.

Now, before I commit to join yet another organization, I would like to avail
myself of as much information as i can.

Of course I realize that individual chapters will have their differences, as
personalities in the world differ.

What I would like to do here, is to articulate my thoughts and solicit some ideas
from knowledgeable folks at the pianotech list.

So, here we go:

    1.  I do wish to avail myself to as much knowledge and experience as possible
in the field of piano technology.
And I do wish to receive the PTG Journal.  I know it is available by subscription,
with or without membership.
There must be other benefits too, training siminars etc.  Please don't tell me
about the group insurance or discount car rental.

    2.  Currently, I doubt if I will ever upgrade to RPT.  This is only a hobby
for me, and I wish to keep it that way.  I don't
particularly enjoy tuning, although I have practiced some and  using tunelab, I
can rough tune, and have no problem chipping up to pitch after restringing.   This
could possible change as I grow.

    3.  I don't feel that I have skills, knowledge, or experience to share with
working, professional technicians.  Not really comfortable with the concept of
taking and not returning, and yet, at the same time,  I quest for knowledge.

    4.  Not interested in serving on committees, holding office, fund raising,
etc.

     5.  In the year or more that I have been lurking here, I have picked up on
some negative attitudes (stories mostly) toward associate members.  I suspect that
there may be some quiet discussion at the national level about the "associate
problem".  If there is a problem, then I certainly don't want to be a part of it.
(the problem that is)

    6.  I am willing to attend meetings and some activities, not sure what they
might be. Are there any ?

    7.  I am very happy with the professional technician - client relationship
established with the technician who offered to
sponsor my associate membership.  I wouldn't want that relationship diluted or
changed in any way.

The technician who tunes my piano and advises on rebuilding concerns is scheduled
to come here next month.  At that
time, I am going to mention these concerns to him directly.  In the mean time, I
would appreciate some of your thoughts
concerning the above.

Thank you,

Bob Hite