Hallet & Davis bridge agraffes back

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:03:09 -0500

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hallet & Davis  bridge agraffes  back
> Date: Wednesday, September 02, 1998 10:06 AM
>

> Richard, on a related subject -- did you notice the crown of this
soundboard?  Was
> it crowned up or down?  I'm sure that at least one of the Hallet & Davis
pianos
> I've encountered was built with a "reverse" crown.  The strings pulled
up against
> the agraffes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Del

I have been trying to figure that one out.  On first investigation in the
bass when I removed a string from the agraffe, (here they come out
sideways) it seemed to lie below the speaking length hole, when pulled
back up.  That would indicate down bearing I think.    I have heard of the
reverse crown, but I don't know really how to determing it.  So far I
cannot see how any kind of bearing guage can be used.  My guess is that a
"reverse crown" would only compound problems in the manufacturing
process.. Like how would you have concave ribs?

Richard