PTG, to join or not to join ?

Fri, 04 Sep 1998 05:35:51 -0700

DChadPiano@aol.com wrote:

> Drawbacks...Don't expect the R.P.Ts. to open-up to you and freely discuss
> expert repair techniques or other technical "need to knows". There is still
> some animosity among some of the R.P.Ts. who, in my opinion, are not secure
> with their own status and their dissension preoccupies them. I have been met
> with many cold shoulders at tech seminars because the name badge I wear
> doesn't say R.P.T. and any technical query posed to exhibitors, specifically,
> is cold.

I guess this must depend on the area and/or the individual technicians.  For the
most part, the RPT's I know don't make much of a distinction.  If you were to show
me a list of our chapter members without all those tail end initials, I couldn't
possibly categorize everybody.  As to the name badges at conferences and
conventions, most of us have way too much trouble just keeping track of the names
of the people we meet to spend much time worrying over their status.  If someone
asks a question in one of my classes I don't have the time to waste worrying about
whether they are an RPT or whatever.  If they've invested the time and effort to
make it to the class -- and have managed to stay awake -- they get an answer.

-- ddf