Hallet & Davis bridge agraffes back

Fri, 04 Sep 1998 05:58:59 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> I have been trying to figure that one out.  On first investigation in the
> bass when I removed a string from the agraffe, (here they come out
> sideways) it seemed to lie below the speaking length hole, when pulled
> back up.  That would indicate down bearing I think.    I have heard of the
> reverse crown, but I don't know really how to determing it.  So far I
> cannot see how any kind of bearing guage can be used.  My guess is that a
> "reverse crown" would only compound problems in the manufacturing
> process.. Like how would you have concave ribs?
>
> Richard

Look underneath the piano.  Stretch a string along side a couple of ribs and see
if there is a gap or if the center of the soundboard is decidedly lower than the
ends.

Yes, it probably would/did? make manufacturing more difficult, but that doesn't
seem to have been an issue.

You concave ribs the same way you convex them.  With a fixture mounted on your
table saw.  Just bend the rib the other way.

Del