PTG, to join or not to join ?

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 09:45:00 -0700

Andy...I think I can speak for practically everyone on the list when I say I hope you do join the guild.  I cannot think of a single disadvantage of guild membership.  You may hear how protective of ther knowledge some RPTs are.  You may hear how some RPTs look down on those of 'lesser status'.  We all wish it could be said that is entirely untrue.  But as long as being human is a requirement for membership - just about the only absolute requirement - there will be those who may take themselves a bit too seriously.  But on the whole, you will find the guild members open and willing to share whatever knowledge they have with whoever will pay attention.  The PTG is above all else, a teaching organization.  Sure, it's is riddled with politics and sensitive egos.  It is an organization, so all that stuff goes with the territory.  But it is devoted to the art and craft of piano technology in the service of music.   So join.  It is certain you will have much to learn and much to contribute, much to gain and nothing to lose.
Steve Pearson
>>> "Andy&Chris Taylor" <tempola@swbell.net> 09/04/98 08:12AM >>>
Hi :
I have been reading this thread with great interest.........I am almost
convinced in Joining the guild.

I have been working on pianos since I was 14 years old. (I am now 35) it has
been a major hobby every since. I don't really think the word "hobby" is all
that bad. lots of people start a vocation from a hobby. I did the same thing
myself, I also had a CB Radio servicing hobby, that I still do for a living,
it served me well, and paid off our home last year<big sigh of relief> No
more house payments, and I am in debt to no one.

But the old CB radios are fast becoming obsolete, largely being replaced
with cellular phones which are for the most part a throw away item. I feel
it is time to shift gears and choose something else and piano servicing
seems the most reasonable thing to do.

it is one thing to completely take apart a piano, player or otherwise, and
rebuild it in your spare time, and another thing to service pianos for a
living. which leads me to my next question,

Does the guild in addition to repair methods. offer information regarding
how to develop what you have learned into a business? you can't exactly
proclaim " I tune pianos" and expect the world to beat a path to your door.
another thing........no matter how nice a job you do rebuilding, if you are
a 'unknown" how do you become 'known"??
Any change in vocation can be a bit scary, and you have to eat.

Just wondering
Andy