damper removal

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:15:54 EDT

 Dick writes:

>I pull as much of the old dampers off as will come off & what ever
>doesn't come off I soak with vinegar. This works ok but is quite messy &
>tends to get on other parts of the action. I'm looking for a less messy
>method of removal.

   If you will leave half the felt thickness on the damper head, and touch it
with a small brush full of hot water (from the glue pot jacket),,  it will
absorb enough so that you should be able to just lift the felt off the head in
about 1/2 hour.
    With just the right amount of water, you end up with a pile of damp felt
scraps and very clean surfaces, presized, for the new felt.
Regards,
Ed Foote