damper removal

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 12:50:50 -0400

Don't have different ideas, only one. Try this:

- Acquire (colloquial: "get yourself") two or more Rubbermaid or equivalent
plastic drawer bins. These are much longer than they are wide. Cut sides
down to create a long but *very* shallow dish. These become soaking
containers. [Hint: bandsaws don't generate as much heat as other tools when
sawing plastic, and permit one-pass cutting].
- Consider Shaklee's Basic 'H' (least expensive surfactant (sp?) on cost to
use basis), or wallpaper remover.
- After pulling as much felt as practical, place dampers face down into
shallow trays containing soaking solution. Depth of solution should only
contact felt, not swallow the damper. <g> Wooden heads should ideally be
parallel (flat) in container, but natural wicking action of felt assists
process.
- Go onto another task, have lunch, whatever. However, do not go on a
service call or leave overnight, since periodic observation is required.
- Finish peeling off residual damper felt, along with glue.
- Damper heads must be thoroughly dry, lest new glue become compromised.

Pros: Works on vertical or grand dampers, low budget impact, NO
environmental impact, no smelly acetic acid fumes, no neutralizing solution
and no sharp objects required.
Cons: Patience required if it's not lunch time; occupies bench space while
waiting.

At 09:17 AM 9/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>List , I would like to get some different ideas on damper head removal.
>
>I pull as much of the old dampers off as will come off & what ever
>doesn't come off I soak with vinegar. This works ok but is quite messy &
>tends to get on other parts of the action. I'm looking for a less messy
>method of removal.
>
>Thanks for any input,
>Dick-------Louisiana

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.