tape on keys

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 19:15:53 -0400

Les/all, it looks like masking tape removal is a "hit question"... for
reasons unknown to me.

I understand how server timing and differing time zones can cause
duplication of efforts (answers). However, if I'm reading the threads
correctly, JimB covered his tracks pretty well. He mentioned mineral
spirits, but indicated that other petroleum products would work (naptha,
benzine,etc.) as well as the rationale for supporting his first decision.

Subsequent threads appear to be trying to persuade JimB or others to try
something different. Enter my not-so-humble opinion.

Mineral spirits are the least objectionable thing to use. It does the job
quickly and flawlessly, costs on a par with popcorn is *supposed* to cost,
and is not overly-noxious. Naptha is volatile and expensive. Ditto Benzine
(kinda). Varsol (one of many spellings I've seen) works well, is
inexpensive when it can be found, but I wouldn't want to use it in a
confined area.

If I'm wrong, and if the other replies are simply indicating alternatives
when mineral spirits are not available, I apologize for the wasted
bandwidth. I apologize either way -- it's been hot out there today, and I
inhaled too much Varsol!

At 12:01 PM 9/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>List:
>	How does one remove masking tape residue from plastic keys?  Yes,
>Jim B. the tape has been pulled off.....................   It's the
>sticky stuff remaining that I don't know how to remove. Windex doesn't
>work, but that's all I tried, preferring not to ruin perfectly nice
>keytops.
>
>	Thanks
>
>Leslie Bartlett

Jim Harvey, RPT