Pianos that arrive unregulated?

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 13:10:27 -0500

Hi.
I have been reading the thread  abut the new pianos arriving from the
factory "unprepped' or  "unregulated" is this the norm now? (our church got
a new D H Baldwin that was horribly out of adjustment) _I hate that piano_!
The dealer made it very clear that they and only they were to "regulate
it".....I didn't see much of a difference! It caused some hard feelings in
the church, I won't play it. neither will the backup pianist. It is pretty
sad when a 90 year old Armstrong upright blows away a new grand in touch and
tone!

I was under the impression that a church would take along a pianist when
they selected a piano, I have selected pianos for several churches in the
area not this time...........

 they paid a little over $10.000 for this thing.......it has a weak tone, no
power, the action is stiff as a board and the tone is so weak, the bass
easily overwhelms the rest of the scale......I thought Baldwin built great
pianos..........or used to.

I have a sneaky feeling that it is not a Baldwin....buy maybe came from
Korea or somewhere with the Baldwin name...the plate certainly doesn't look
like a Baldwin...it's horrible

 I wonder if the old pianos of the 1920's (players & straight pianos)
arrived in unprepped condition?

 I was reading an old Beckwith "owners manual" that explained how to uncrate
your new player piano and use it (ah those were the days!) so I assume that
the piano was prepped by the factory and ready to use.

any thoughts?
Andy