Harpsichord string loop question

D C AL CODA kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 16:38:54 -0700

At 03:56 PM 09/06/1998 -0700, you wrote:

Hi,

I follow along with your explanation untill the last sentence.

By
>At the end of the
>1" twist, keep tension on the main part of the wire while the remaining
>pigtail is wrapped around the main part of the wire 4 or 5 times"

do you mean to back up with the pigtail towards the loop, over the
previously twisted windings?

The ones on the harpsichord have several "loose" twists and then 4 or 5
tighter twists (snugged up at 90 degrees, like we do on a piano tuning pin).

Sorry, but my ASCII art ain't up to drawing what I just said.:-}

>If one holds harpsichord wire near the end and hooks it with the wire handle
>of a rubber mute, one can twist it in the fashion illustrated below to
>form the hitch pin loop. Use enough tension to pull the wire into no more
>than a 90 degree bend and make several twists (1"). If the angle and tension
>are too great, brass wire will break, if the angle and twist are too small
>the loop can slip under tension and eventually break. At the end of the
>1" twist, keep tension on the main part of the wire while the remaining
>pigtail is wrapped around the main part of the wire 4 or 5 times.
>

>          \
>            \
>              \
>                \
>                  \                          _____________________
>                    \                      /                     |
>                      O-------------------                       |
>                    /                      \_____________________|
>                  /
>                /