Petrof even more

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 18:55:36 +1200

Jory & Jim and others,

I believe that it's ALL a question of Education and PRICE - while I
appreciates Jim's sentiments, in many industries quality in the world
today is a question of survival.

Many businesses may survive on the ignorance of the consumer and
others MAY sell at a price which represents an acceptable value
relative to the customers current expectations.

Beyond these TWO factors there is then the matter of PERCEPTION and
this is where BRAND image is King. If you have un-limited funds you
may BUY a BRAND that will impress your peers rather than satisfy your
utilitarian needs - OSTENTATION, lifestyle and opulence etc. are the
image promoted and targeted by many brands.

I would like to believe, that in the Piano Industry, quality should
rule supreme, however profitability and economic survival is the
greater motivation and this industry has suffered significant
aberrations over the 100 or so years since it became significant.

The fundamental pursuit of excellence gets lost from one generation of
ownership and management to the next. New enterprises arise from the
disillusion of individuals with the lower quality perspective of their
peers or employers.

If it where not for Ignorance, Advertising, Salesmanship and Marketing
and fickle nature of the human condition we probably would not have
ANY Pianos. Fortunately the piano has captured the MUSICAL imagination
and it survives - the excellent and the not-so-excellent.

Educate - this is the BEST way.

AlanD (who loves good pianos and is also an Engineer and an educator
when Electronics Business survival permits him)