Petrof

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 01:04:48 -0700

I have had a lot of experience with Petroff pianos, I even attend a school which has 19 pianos and they are all Petroff.
I donīt like them very much personally. Playing it I prefer Yamaha action (the feeling) or Hamburg Steinway than Petrof, In maintenance, if the owner treats it nicely it will last, but it is not made to take punishment. The pianos in the school that I tell you suffers almost constantly of loose center pins, (twice a year ) and key bushing wear ( They use them 8 hours daily, for piano lessons )
I also attend a school that has 12 pianos, 6 Yamahas 3 Baldwins  3 Steinways, used for the same purpose, more or less same amount of time daily. Centre pins last an average of two years, Bushings more or less the same.
On the other side, Petrof, or the once I attend here have a very nice European sound, and a complete preparation, when they arrive realy improves them a lot.
Elian Degen

---------------------end of forwarded text

I would just caution everybody on the list to make a distinction between the Petrof models with Renner actions (and action parts) and those with the Petrof (Tofa) action.  The Petrof I,II grands (the largest in the Petrof line) and model 130 upright have complete Renner actions.  The Petrof III (6' 4" grand), the model I own, uses Renner action parts assembled on a Petrof action frame at the Petrof factory.  All other models have Tofa (or other) actions.

Since the center pinning is done by Renner,  I would expect any Petrof with the Renner action to wear about same as any other piano with a Renner action.  Other pianos with the Renner action include Schimmel, Mason & Hamlin, many Hamburg Steinways, etc.

Jory