Silica gel

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 08:53:09 -0400

Garrett/group: a story, as related to me by a Japanese technician.

Many of the piano techs in Japan 'capitalize', for lack of a better word,
on the presence of silica gel in pianos. During the course of home service,
along with tuning/other, they generate extra income by removing the old
bags of silica and installing "fresh" ones during routine calls.

Back at the shop, they recycle the old silica packs by placing them on the
stove to dry out the crystals. This portion was unclear, but presumably a
frying pan is used instead of the oven or a microwave. (In my own tests,
microwaving just makes the bags soggy, due to the moisture having no place
to go). The newly revived bags are then placed in an airtight container,
and the process repeated. I must assume that the container (paper/cloth,
etc.) has a shelf life, even if the crystals don't, but that part wasn't
explained to me.

After the story was told to me, I must have raised my eyebrows or something
to indicate disbelief. The story teller smiled knowingly, but reiterated
that the story was true.

>From a manufacturer's standpoint, once the piano is uncrated, the silica
has served its original purpose (and service life), and is therefore
expendable.

Other than this departure for your specific purposes, Nossaman is on target
regarding small, sealed places and life expectancy. Silica gel is also used
by some who enjoy "ballistics entertainment" for a hobby -- something about
keeping their powder dry. Likewise, I've known mechanics, machinists, and
electronics techs to keep some in the container with their more sensitive
tools and instruments.

I keep a couple bags in my wire kit. This fits the small and 'captive'
environment parameter since the container has a seal. Whether it's the
container, the silica, or a combination, I don't know, but I don't have
problems with rusty piano wire!

At 11:20 AM 9/7/98 +0900, you wrote:
[cut]
>Is silica gel of any use outside of a sealed or environment?

>While I was working in Washington D.C., almost all of the Asian owned pianos
>that I serviced, had bags of silica inside. Here in Okinawa I regularly see
>silica used, not dampchaser.
[end]

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate