Mystery dust (was baking soda)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:41:50 -0400

Bill, whether or not this is the substance I saw, I -really- appreciate
your sharing this information. Apparently I was right in refusing to deal
with it, as well as advising the customer. I will be contacting the client,
and presenting possibilities as delicately as possible.

Related *and* important. I can't relate to Paris green, but I recently saw
another old upright piano that had a "faded" green powder liberally applied
over every internal horizontal surface. Now for the rest of the story.

This piano was being used as a reference (prop) for a chapter program on
estimating. The program was about finding and assessing needed repairs, not
establishing prices for same. Everyone was given a piece of paper, and was
to go through the piano and record what they felt should be done. Later,
each person's discoveries were disclosed to the group.

I never touched the piano, instead wrote "land fill" on my paper. [No
flames accepted on last statement.] I physically pulled one of our visually
impaired members (whom you know) away from the piano, since he had already
begun to use his other senses to evaluate the unit. I then implied caution
to other members about handling the parts by saying "I'm not touching it".
Had I known this before now, I could have used stronger words, or, as
chapter president, even shut down the program! What's curious about this is
that I am apparently (until now) the "outsider" to your information. The
others, being local, should have been cautioning me!

I don't get it. It's one thing to provide services to our clients. However,
between chemicals, solvents and "findings" or "leavings", we have enough
potential hazards to deal with in the normal course of events without
contributing to the list. BTW, it took some head-scratching, but I think I
came up with the respectable family name.

Thanks again!
harvey