Low FAC, Henry F.

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 07:39:57

Dear Newton, list ---

It could happen to anyone. I remember growing up, when "Eenie, meenie,
minie, mo, Catch a nigger by his toe" was standard preschool fare, and no
one even wondered about it, though it looks really gross these days. When I
tuned in a public school in the mid-80's, it had changed to "catch a tiger
by his toe."

May I offer, as a substitute for "in a coon's age", "in dog's years"? Does
the same thing, and the derivation is clear. (Since dogs age seven years
for our one, dog's years add up quickly) and the Animal Rights people have
made no outcry against (so far) ... <grin>

Susan

P.S. Like others, I always thought it referred to a racoon, but if it
bothers anyone, I might as well avoid it in future.

At 09:17 AM 9/7/98 -0400, Newton wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>My apologies.  I should have sent "..age" separately.  I thought of
>doing so but decided to 'list' it because I wished for no one to
>experience the embarrassment I did when I thoughtlessly use the phrase
>in conversation with a black person who was from the south.  He
>proceeded to 'educate' me in no uncertain terms.  I, fortunately, did
>not loose a friend but it was close.
>
>I grew up in southern New Mexico where many phrases were used that were
>and are racist, anti-Semitic and chauvinistic.  Moving from a town of
>3500 to New York City I learned quickly what was and what was not
>acceptable, but the "...age" reference was by far the most
>'educational'.
>
>My apologies to the list but I am unrepentant in considering the remark
>racist.  I will endeavor to be more sensitive in the future.
>
>        Newton J. Hunt
>        nhunt@jagat.com

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651