Low FAC, Henry F.

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:05:47 +0000

I believe it actually started out long ago as "catch a tiger by
his toe" and was changed to the n-word later.  Eventually it
went back to tiger.  Wasn't that from "Little Black Sambo".
Chasing a tiger around a tree until it became pancake batter or
such?

Sorry that this is off piano topics...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Dear Newton, list ---
>
> It could happen to anyone. I remember growing up, when "Eenie, meenie,
> minie, mo, Catch a nigger by his toe" was standard preschool fare, and no
> one even wondered about it, though it looks really gross these days. When I
> tuned in a public school in the mid-80's, it had changed to "catch a tiger
> by his toe."
>
> May I offer, as a substitute for "in a coon's age", "in dog's years"? Does
> the same thing, and the derivation is clear. (Since dogs age seven years
> for our one, dog's years add up quickly) and the Animal Rights people have
> made no outcry against (so far) ... <grin>
>
> Susan
>
> P.S. Like others, I always thought it referred to a racoon, but if it
> bothers anyone, I might as well avoid it in future.

> At 09:17 AM 9/7/98 -0400, Newton wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >My apologies.  I should have sent "..age" separately.  I thought of
> >doing so but decided to 'list' it because I wished for no one to
> >experience the embarrassment I did when I thoughtlessly use the phrase
> >in conversation with a black person who was from the south.  He
> >proceeded to 'educate' me in no uncertain terms.  I, fortunately, did
> >not loose a friend but it was close.
> >
> >I grew up in southern New Mexico where many phrases were used that were
> >and are racist, anti-Semitic and chauvinistic.  Moving from a town of
> >3500 to New York City I learned quickly what was and what was not
> >acceptable, but the "...age" reference was by far the most
> >'educational'.
> >
> >My apologies to the list but I am unrepentant in considering the remark
> >racist.  I will endeavor to be more sensitive in the future.
> >
> >        Newton J. Hunt
> >        nhunt@jagat.com

> Susan Kline
> P.O. Box 1651