S&S retrofit rails ?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 11:33:05 -0500 (CDT)

Get 'em Jon,

I quite agree. My comments weren't an endorsement of the system, merely a
reminder that you will get people shouting that a Steinway isn't a Steinway
if you can space the hammers easily and the rails aren't springy. True, that
doesn't account for teflon bushings, skinless knuckles, and accelerated
action bearings, but these can be side stepped in rebuilding by replacing
parts. Perhaps this is your chance to develop and market custom stack
replacements, brackets, rails, and all. When you get the system perfected
(shouldn't be that tough), you may well find that most people won't consider
desecrating their Steinway by installing an action that is not authentic,
and works better. Maybe that's why it hasn't been done yet. I always have
had a hard time understanding peoples' insistence on authenticity over
performance. Maybe it's a matter of taint. Tain't REAL Steinway. Ask for it
by name. Perhaps a major part of the market value is mystique, rather than
substance. Yea, I know, the potential is vast, even if the reality of a
particular instrument is (ahem) somewhat less than ideal. Wouldn't the
possibility of improving the instrument by replacing the action stack
altogether fall under the heading of potential too? In any case, maybe
someone on the list will educate us as to the sterling qualities of the
brass bound dowel flange rail system. I've sure fought a lot of them without
noting any particularly life enhancing properties compared to more
conventional rails.

>Ron,
>To start with, spacing. A tapered flange would help by
>slipping the normal hammer 'spacing tool' in there and
>positioning. A flat rail where sand paper would grip better
>and keep the hammer positioned better. Narrower flanges
>which are not crowding others so spacing_can_ be done.
>
>In other words, a better system.
>
>Even with placing emery cloth on the rail it is sometimes
>difficult to force the hammers to align.
>
>What makes that flange with the molded surface better
>than a flat surfaced flange which everyone the world over
>uses. And as you asked, why does S&S think this is superior.
>Or is it just tradition. Tradition didn't stop teflon bushings,
>knuckles without a buckskin covers or accelerated action bearings.
>
>So what's the big deal with this anyway. Is it really more cost effective
>to produce them? I doubt it.
>
>This being Labor Day weekend, I'm just pondering ways to save labor,
>mainly mine. I do not particularly enjoy spending the extra time needed
>to make these proprietary products function like the more simply made
>'standard' the rest of the planet enjoys.
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

 Ron