S&S retrofit rails ?

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:55:35 -0700

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> . . . . When you get the system perfected
> (shouldn't be that tough), you may well find that most people won't consider
> desecrating their Steinway by installing an action that is not authentic,
> and works better. Maybe that's why it hasn't been done yet.

It has been done.  Several times, although admittedly not recently.  But that's
only because the opportunity hasn't presented itself.  When I'm faced with a
Steinway stack that has more things wrong with it than right this is always an
option.

> I always have
> had a hard time understanding peoples' insistence on authenticity over
> performance. Maybe it's a matter of taint. Tain't REAL Steinway. Ask for it
> by name. Perhaps a major part of the market value is mystique, rather than
> substance. Yea, I know, the potential is vast, even if the reality of a
> particular instrument is (ahem) somewhat less than ideal. Wouldn't the
> possibility of improving the instrument by replacing the action stack
> altogether fall under the heading of potential too?

Yes.  When working with a customer owned piano it is important to keep them
informed and obtain their permission before making any alterations to the
original design and/or construction materials.  However, when we own the piano
we have the option of doing what we believe will give us the best performance
result.  In some cases that will include swapping the action stack.  I should
point out that we always suggest that any potential purchaser of one of our
pianos -- regardless of the original manufacture -- compare what they're hearing
and feeling in our shop with what is available new.  We encourage them to shop
around.

> In any case, maybe
> someone on the list will educate us as to the sterling qualities of the
> brass bound dowel flange rail system. I've sure fought a lot of them without
> noting any particularly life enhancing properties compared to more
> conventional rails.

Well, let's see....  They're, uh, well they. . .  No, it's more like they. . .
Well, one thing for certain, when they're all shined up, they sure look pretty.
. . OK, well, I'm sure I'll be able to think of more Real Soon Now. . .  I'll
have to get back to you on this. . . .

Del