Galassini on Yamaha

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:03:35 -0600

HI Richard,
           12Yrs is old for a piano with this caliber of artist, practicing
anywhere from 4 to 8hrs a day.  Due to key bushing wear, centre pin, and
knuckle wear, there will be a limit to how tightly and consistently the
instrument can be regulated and voiced.
  This has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Yamaha, this level of
performance, by this fine an ARTIST will push any piano to the limit. Also
this quality of player will always demand excellence, and keep the tech on
his toes.
  At times we are suprised by the demands that true artist demand of us,
but why?
Well it's outside of our norm, and satisfying them can be intimidating,
unless we take the time to really communicate, and learn the skills to
satisfy them.
  If Andre finds his ideal piano, I wonder how many years before he is
dissatisfied again? Key bushings worn ppp becomes impossible, hammers
reshaped and centre pins worn, touch weight drops below acceptable levels.
Knuckles flatten out, let off becomes indeterminate. Strings become work
hardened and sustain time goes down. And so the list goes on.
  For this level of performer an action rebuild would be required every
5yrs in a perfect world. Unfortunately this rarely happens.
  He has been a Steinway, Baldwin and Yamaha artist, I think he is running
out of piano companies to work with.
Just some observations IMHO.
Roger.
Roger Jolly